Roadside Wadapaav or Chhole-kulche served on a newspaper plate, bhelpuri or chana choor served in a newspaper cone, break pakoras served on newspaper plates–all of this & more is causing your stomach to get upset frequently, without you even realizing it.

Last year, the Food Safety & Standard Authority of India (FSSAI) had banned the use of newspapers for packing, wrapping, serving & storing food items. It even directed commissioners of food safety of all States &Union Territories to take necessary steps to ensure the same.

More recently, The Pune Cantonment Board (PCB) issued a public report advising people to avoid eating food (especially fried) packed in newspapers.

Why is that so?

What we don’t realize is, the printing ink which is in that newspaper contains harmful chemicals–dyes,  pigments, binders, alcohol, preservatives & additives. If consumed in small quantities, these substances can cause minor stomach upsets. An overdose of it which can lead to stomach poisoning and repeated, regular consumption can lead to cancer-related health complications. Older people & children are at a high risk of being poisoned this way as their immune system is weaker.

“Wrapping food in newspapers is a harmful practice, and the consumption of such food is injurious to health, despite the fact that the food has been cooked hygienically,” the Food, Safety & Standard Authority of India (FSSAI) said in an advisory, reports The Indian Fitness Mantra.

So, henceforth you’re out and about & feel like indulging in street food, steer clear of newspapers!

Comments

comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

three × five =